Why Don't You..Schedule a Yearly Tune-Up for your Lawnmower?

Keeping your lawnmower in good working order will cut emissions by up to 50 percent and reduce fuel consumption by 30%. Most local hardware or home improvement stores offer lawnmower tune-up services.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Green Date Ideas :)


As many of you do, I subscribe to a number of "green" blogs, websites, newsletters, etc. One of my personal favorites is TreeHugger because I get 6 daily stories with little snippets of information to choose from. Yesterday the one that popped out to me was "7 Great Green Date Ideas" by Eric Leech, resident sex columnist for Planet Green (a contributor to TreeHugger). 

The part I loved the most about his suggestions is most of them are very cost effective; as a "true" green initiative should be. I get bored with the standard "rent a movie and cook dinner" thing even though we do it often. The weather is hopefully going to be changing more for the better soon and with that comes the hope of spending more time outside. Some of Leech's suggestions are below--for more details and more suggestions check out the article.  

  • Try Gardening Together: I'm not much of a gardener, ok, I'm not kidding anyone, I'm not a gardener. But that said, my boyfriend and I really enjoyed our volunteer time together planting trees at Camp Long. We have talked about starting an herb garden many times in the past, maybe now is the time? 
  • Walk, bike or use community transit to the zoo! Woodland Park is amazing this time of year with all the blooming trees and they are heavily involved in conservation and education. 
  • Have a Game Afternoon or Night! Either just the two of you or with a group of friends, this can be such a fun, cheap and environmentally conscious good time. Make it even more so by hosting this during the day (use less or zero power) or maybe a fun evening event by candlelight? 
  • Read Together: This is one my favorite "green date" past times with my boyfriend. We are big fans of reading a novel together and rotate who reads aloud and who picks the book. It's great for conversation, connection and if that wasn't great enough turns off the TV and keeps power limited to just a bedside lamp!
Have fun and PlayGreen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment